Double-batch of Sara's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

I took my Grandma B's yummy oatmeal choc. chip recipe and changed it a little ~ and since I always make a double-batch, this is how I have the ingredients written down. Makes about 7 dozen.


1 1/2 c shortening
2 c brown sugar
1 c white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
2 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 c flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
5 c quick oats (blend in blender for a finer texture)
5 good shakes cinnamon
4 shakes nutmeg
1 good shake allspice
chocolate chips
nuts (optional)

Blend shortening and sugars together well. This is one of the secrets of good cookies; mixing the fats & sugars together well from the start! Add eggs and mix well. Mix in milk and vanilla.

Now for the dry ingredients. You know how so many recipes tell you to mix the dries separately in a bowl? I have never found that to be necessary unless your flour really needs sifting. For this and similar recipes, I first put in one cup of flour and then put the salt, baking soda, & spices in with it. Then once they're all blended in I add the remaining flour. Then, add the oats. Whether or not you blend the oats depends on how "oaty" you want the cookies to turn out. If your kids don't like oatmeal cookies, they'll never realize it if you blend them - putting them in the blender turns them almost into oat flour. Finally add the chocolate chips - I didn't put a quantity since everyone's opinion is different on how many is the perfect amount, but I always use semi-sweet.

Form into small balls using a cereal spoon. Bake at 375 for about 9 minutes, or until edges are done and middle still looks a little wet - leave on cookie sheet to cool and the middle will firm up.

More tips: If you're going to put the oats in the blender, measure the quantity first before blending. I let the dough sit for a little while before making the first batch, so the oats have a chance to soak up the liquid in the dough. After forming the balls of dough, I smash them down with the palm of my hand since they don't spread out much when baking. Make sure the oven is completely heated before putting in the first batch. These are so yummy frozen too - especially if they're a little bit undercooked.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin