New favorite sugar cookie recipe!

My mom & sisters & I got together to decorate sugar cookies last week; we used a recipe that my mom had gotten from her friend and it's just fantastic! Makes a nice, tender dough and doesn't need chilling before rolling out. One batch will make at least 2 dozen cookies.


Ingredients:

1 c sugar
1/2 c sour cream
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c butter (softened)
3 1/4 c flour (plus more on hand for rolling out dough)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar


Preheat oven to 350. Cream together first five ingredients. Sift flour with salt, soda, & cream of tartar in a separate bowl; then add gradually to the wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly.

Flour a flat surface and flour your rolling pin; have extra flour on hand. Using 1/4 to 1/2 the dough at a time, knead a few times with flour until it is less sticky and easier to work with. Then roll it, with plenty of flour, out to about 1/4" thickness and cut with cookie cutters.

Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes. I found that my cookies were done at about 8 minutes; your oven may be different. Cookies will be soft and tender; delicious! But even better with frosting :)

2 comments:

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

Saw you at One perfect Bite and followed you here! Lovely blog. WIsh I had a brother who showered me with "unique" food gifts like tamarind! I'd love to make cut-out cookies but want to make them NOW, not after refrigerating. I'll save this.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really look and sound special. My grandson's will be in your debt. Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

Blog Widget by LinkWithin