Aunt Jessie's Buttermilk Cake

An old time family favorite!

2 1/2 c sugar
1 c shortening
3 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 c buttermilk
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp lemon extract
4 eggs



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a bundt or angel food pan by greasing it with shortening, then dusting with powdered sugar.

Dissolve baking soda into buttermilk. Cream sugar & shortening. Add eggs and lemon extract; mix well. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and finally buttermilk/soda; mix until just well blended. Scrape batter into prepared pan; bake at 350 for 1 hr 15 minutes. It's done when the center of the cake springs back when you press on it.

If you halve this recipe it's just right for a regular loaf pan. Or, bake a full recipe in two loaf pans and give one of them to a friend!

I like to ice the top of mine with a simple lemon icing... just combine a couple tablespoons of lemon juice with enough powdered sugar to make a good drizzling consistency. In my family we adore eating this buttermilk cake with this frozen dessert!

2 comments:

leigh said...

You gave me this recipe a long time ago and I still haven't tried it. But I think I will make it this week. It looks SO good.

David said...

My family DEVOURED this delicious cake this week. Thanks for sharing. I loved the "crust" the dusting of powdered sugar gives the outside. YUM!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin