Potato Salad

I have only made potato salad a few times, but so far it's always turned out pretty well. I made some over 4th of July weekend, and I thought I'd let you know what I put in it.

about 4 lbs russett potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 c mayonnaise
1/2 c milk (approx)
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
4 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped (I use a pastry blender to cut mine up)
salt & pepper
celery salt
parsley
dill
ground mustard

You could also use red potatoes; they're fantastic and don't even need to be peeled! But this time I used russett... which, yes, need do be peeled.

Cook potatoes in salted, boiling water until tender, but don't cook them as long as you would if you were going to mash them. Drain in a colander and run cold water over them to cool. Cut them into bite-sized pieces; about 1" cubes. Put potatoes in a large bowl and add about 1 c mayo; I used a combination of fat-free and full fat mayo (just what I had on hand). Add red onions, celery, and eggs, and start putting in some of the spices... I can't tell you how much of each. Sprinkle some in; you'll need quite a bit of salt for that many potatoes. The onion & celery give you good flavor but you'll need the parsley, dill, mustard, celery salt, & pepper too.

The consistency will be too thick as it is, plus as it sits in the fridge the potatoes will continue to absorb liquid. So, you'll need to add about 1/2 c of milk to thin it out. Just mix it well, and continue to taste and add more spices as necessary.

I know this isn't much of a "recipe" but at least will give you a starting point for the next time you want to make potato salad!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin