Oatmeal Applesauce Pancakes

In an effort to incorporate more whole grains and less meat into my family's diet, we have had healthy versions of pancakes a few times lately for dinner. These were so tasty, filling, and we all loved them! I got the recipe from allrecipes.com but made a few changes to it.

1 c whole wheat flour
1/3 c oats (the recipe called for quick oats; I used regular rolled oats which was fine)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c light or fat-free sour cream
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c milk

Mix flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, sour cream, egg, vanilla, and milk. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix just until blended. Cook on a hot griddle.


Tips:

The batter is fairly thick; the amounts above worked for me but depending on the thickness of your sour cream, and applesauce, you may need an additional splash of milk.

I used homemade applesauce that I made last fall, which is much sweeter than store-bought unsweetened applesauce. So, the batter may not be sweet enough if you use store-bought unsweetened; I would add a couple teaspoons of sugar if that's the case, or just used sweetened applesauce.

I doubled this recipe for my family (two adults, four young children) which was the perfect amount. They are more filling than regular pancakes; most pancake recipes I triple.

We ate them with syrup but next time I'll serve them with jam so as to be a little more healthy. They were SO good!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin