Nicole's Meatloaf

I never had meatloaf growing up, and when I got married I never had any desire to try making it -- the very name of it sounded suspicious. But one day in the late 90's we were having dinner at my bro- & sis-in-law's house and they served meatloaf; it was delicious! I've been making this recipe ever since. I always serve it with mashed potatoes and peas; it's such a delicious & satisfying meal.


2/3 c milk
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 eggs
3 slices bread, torn into small pieces
2/3 c finely chopped onions
2/3 c finely chopped carrots*
1 c shredded cheddar
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground turkey (you can use all beef instead, but the turkey makes it a little lighter, healthier, & less greasy)

Glaze:
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c brown sugar
2 tsp mustard (prepared mustard; not dry mustard spice)

In a large bowl, beat together milk, salt, pepper, & eggs. Add bread pieces, onions, & carrots. Mash in the ground meats (raw) and cheese. The best way to mix it all together really well is with your hands! Put into two loaf pans and bake at 350 for 1 hr 15 min. For the glaze, mix ingredients together in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until bubbly (don't cook too long or it will get too thick). You can spoon some of the glaze over the meatloaf during its last 15 minutes of cooking, but I usually wait and serve the glaze at the table to spoon over the meatloaf & mashed potatoes on our plates. So good.


*A note about the carrots: I always grate them instead of chopping. Once I put chopped carrots in and they didn't cook enough so they ended up being hard pieces. Not good. You can leave them out altogether, but I always grate some in if I have them. Extra nutrition, you know.


Recipe courtesy of my SIL Nicole

3 comments:

Kate said...

This is going to be a GREAT website! Good job!

leigh said...

how did i just come upon this? maybe it's because i'm always looking at you from google reader. anyway - i'm glad to have your favorites at my fingertips, i'm always looking for something good and you always have it!

stephanie said...

i made this yesterday for dinner at my in-laws and it was a BIG hit. it was my first attempt at meatloaf and was just delicious. thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin