Sloppy Joe Pot Pie

I read this recipe on Real Mom Kitchen, on just the day I needed it: I had no ideas for dinner, I had ground beef in the fridge that needed to be used, and I had the rest of the ingredients on hand. My kids were at first nervous because it was something NEW, but they all ended up loving it! It's very easy and made for a great dinner with a salad on the side. I agree with Laura's assessment (Laura from Real Mom Kitchen) that it would be better with more meat, so I think next time I will double the meat & sauce part and keep the biscuity-top part the same. Shown below are the original quantities. Also, I don't have an oven-safe skillet so I baked mine in a glass 8x8 and it was lovely... just pour the cooked meat mixture into an 8x8, then top w/ cheese and continue the rest of the instructions. Laura's picture is much better than mine so that's what I've used here. Enjoy!


Sloppy Joe Pot Pie

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 (15 oz) can sloppy joe sauce (like Manwich)
  • 1 1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 c baking mix (like Bisquick)
  • 1/2 c milk (skim is fine)
  • 1 egg


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 10-12" oven proof skillet, brown the beef & onion together until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Add sloppy joe sauce to the meat and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese.

In a small bowl, mix together the baking mix, milk, and egg until combined. Pour over the beef mixture. Place the skillet in the oven and bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until golden.

Remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 c cheese. Makes 4-5 servings.





A little tip: You can make your own Bisquick in a pinch. I didn't have any Bisquick on hand when I made this recipe, so I mixed 1 cup of all-purpose flour with 1/2 T baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Then, cut in about 1/3 c shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. There's your "baking mix," so then just go ahead & stir in the milk & egg as directed.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin