Mock Black n' Whites

Do you know about the ease and convenience of cake mix cookies? I guess since I'm such a "from scratch" girl it took me a while to figure this out. But the possibilities are endless, and today I came up with these little cuties. It's pretty standard that you can take any regular box of cake mix, add two eggs and 1/2 c oil, and you have instant "cookie dough." From there you can mix anything with it, like nuts chocolate chips. Or, don't mix anything in, but use two colors like this! They were a big hit with my kids, my church choir, and our dinner guests.


1 box white cake mix
1 box devil's food cake mix
4 eggs
1 c vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 375. You'll need two medium-sized mixing bowls. Empty the white cake mix into one bowl; add two eggs, 1/2 c oil, and mix well with a spoon. In the other bowl, empty the devil's food (chocolate) cake mix, then add 2 eggs and 1/2 c oil and mix well with a spoon.

There are two schools of thought for the scooping of the dough. You could use two separate teaspoons so that none of the dough mixes together, or if you're not preparing these for a fussy crowd you can just use the same spoon (which is what I did). In fact, I just scooped a little chocolate dough, and then a little white dough right with it, then with my other hand took the double-dough-ball off the spoon and onto my cookie sheet lined with Silpat (since that's the only thing I bake cookies on). I didn't do any fancy forming; just plopped the dough down so that an equal amount of each color was showing, and the cookies turned out nice and circular and lovely. A couple of them were more marbled-looking, which would be very easy to do; just smush a little bit of the two colors of dough together.

Anyway, bake them at 375 for about 9 minutes. I got about 5 dozen black n' white cookies out of the 2 cake mixes.


I just thought of a fun idea; you could make rainbow colored cookies by making a batch of white cake mix cookie dough and coloring small portions of it different colors. The cookies could be solid colors or any combinations. How fun would that be! I'll have to do that for my kids sometime for a fun surprise.

1 comment:

Danika said...

I love cake mix cookies! They are quick and easy and stay soft for quite a few days. My fave is devils food with choc chips. I've also done lemon. Another cute one is funfetti cake mix (or vanilla with sprinkles mixed in). I just did fake oreos the other day (two devils food ones put together with vanilla frosting in between) for the preschool lemonade stand and they were the first ones gone! I never thought about doing black & white - what a great idea! The possibilities are endless...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin