Thanksgiving Stuffing

3/4 c chopped onion
1 1/2 c chopped celery
1 c butter (2 sticks)
9 c soft bread cubes
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dried ground sage
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
chicken broth if needed

In a large skillet, sautee onion and celery in butter until tender. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, put bread cubes and toss with all of the spices. Pour the onion, celery, and butter into the bread cubes and mix evenly.

Now, at this point you could stuff a turkey if you want to. I prefer to keep my stuffing out of the turkey and bake it on its own. So, if it seems a little dry (if any of the bread cubes are dry), pour some chicken broth in; I'd say 1/4 - 1/3 cup at the most, and mix it in. Then, put the stuffing into a casserole dish and bake until the top is crispy. It doesn't really matter what temperature the oven is.... chances are you're making this with a big turkey dinner so you probably already have sweet potatoes or rolls in the oven. So, just put the stuffing in the oven with whatever else is in there!

I always need chicken broth to moisten it because I always use more than 9 cups of bread cubes, and I up the spice amounts, but I leave the butter the same amount so I use chicken broth for the extra moisture.

This recipe comes from my mother-in-law. She adds mushrooms; I prefer it without them but it's delicious either way! If you want to add mushrooms, just sautee them with the onions & celery.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin