Blueberry Muffins

From the New Good Housekeeping Cookbook

1 3/4 c flour
2/3 c sugar
1 T baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
6 T butter (3/4 stick)
1 egg
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs (if the pieces are bigger, like the size of peas, that's okay too). In a small bowl mix egg, milk, lemon peel, and vanilla with a fork until blended. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold blueberries into batter.

Spoon batter into greased muffin tin. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan; serve warm.


Tips:


  • If you use frozen blueberries, don't thaw them before adding to batter. Fresh turn out a little better because they don't bleed as much into the batter and the muffins turn out looking "cleaner." But they are tasty either way!

  • For these muffins or for any quick bread or cake, I never use a toothpick. I check for doneness by lightly pressing down on the center of the muffin/bread/cake with one finger. If it springs back, it's done. If a depression remains, it's not cooked through.

  • My muffin tins are dark metal and these muffins are always done in 20 minutes; check after 18 or so to see if yours are done.

  • And I can't believe I forgot to mention; I always sprinkle a little regular white sugar on top of each muffin before putting them in the oven -- it gives them a nice crunchy sweet top! A friend of mine puts brown sugar on top of hers; I haven't tried that but I bet that would be tasty too.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

After they are baked I like to dip the tops in melted butter then in sugar. I will try baking the sugar in next time. I like frozen berries because I like the ribbons of bleeding color.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin